/Templates/Index.aspx?id=610&epslanguage=en Loaded page

Wind logo

Awards & recognition


WIND was awarded the “Relazione con il Cliente Cittadino 2011” for the best customer satisfaction among telecommunications companies in Italy


The project “10decimi”of WIND received the award “Lombard Elite - The Milan Finance Company” as the best project of Corporate Social Responsibility


WIND was awarded the “Family Work” for the best program of employee involvement in work-life balance projec

WIND was awarded the "Leone d'oro" for the best communication campaign


WIND received the "Marketing Award 2008"

Brand overview

WIND is one of a few European operators to offer integrated mobile and fixed services to customers and small, medium and large companies.

WIND offers voice and data services under the “WIND” brand. Transparency, Clarity and Simplicity are the WIND’s values to which services, rates, customer relationships, distribution channels and sales network are deeply inspired. Advertising messages are clear and testimonials, with a friendly style, are ideal ambassadors for the company’s values.

Brand history

WIND was founded in 1997 by France Telecom, Deutsche Telekom and ENEL, the latter of which became its sole shareholder in 2003. WIND TELECOM, owner of Orascom Telecom the TLC group focused on emerging countries, acquired from ENEL a 62.75% indirect ownership stake in WIND in 2005, and the remaining 37.25% in 2006. In 2011, VimpelCom completed the purchase of all of the outstanding share capital of WIND TELECOM. 

WIND awarded its GSM license in 1998 and launched its mobile operations in 1999. In 2000 WIND achieved the 3G license and began offering its 3G services in 2004. In 2011 WIND won LTE/4G frequencies.

In 1998 WIND launched its fixed-line services and in 2001 acquired INFOSTRADA, the then-leading Italian fixed-line telecommunications operator by number of subscribers after the incumbent.

Additional information

WIND is the first telecommunications company in the world to have the compliance of its Integrated Management System (IMS) for Quality, Environment, Security and Social Responsibility verified by DNV (Det Norske Veritas). Certifications of the IMS:

2007  Information Security - ISO IEC 27001
2004  Social Accountability - SA 8000
2002 Quality - UN EN ISO 9001
2001  Health and Safety - OHSAS 18001
2000  Environment - UNI EN ISO 14001

Related businesses

Italy +

Website links

WIND Italy


  • Understanding VimpelCom
  • Innovation
    Hot topics